Got back from Chicago on Thursday - I happen to love Chicago but damn did I have a hard time this trip.
Broke my glasses first night out there, there was devastating sub-zero temperatures and I got hit on the melon by a big chunk of falling ice off of a building. Then as I was about to fly home I watched on CNN as a plane crashed into the Hudson. Made for VERY stressful travel.
So much for the bad news - here's the good.
Checked out a few awesome places.
1. Avec - I LOVED eating at this this joint! Chef Koren Grieveson. Remember that name - this lady makes some kick ass eats. I really want her to go on Iron Chef and wipe those smug smirks off Flay's and Battali's fat faces!
2. Rossi's - awesome dive bar off State St. with that great mix of people that makes for a perfect place to chill.
3. Gene & Georgetti Steakhouse - classic steaks with that old clubhouse feel where if it was allowed, every guy in there would have been chomping on a cigar after dinner.
4. Harry Carray's - (RIP) - Holy Cow - awesome home made chips - yeah, maybe a little touristy but solid eats - got an Italian Beef Sandwich and they don't squelch on the beef juice. Gotta dip yer beef ;)
5. The Orbit Room - This Wicker Park hipster hang shows horror movies on all TV sets and their DJ's spin top notch garage rock.
6. Frog of House of Frog! - This lady rocks - she's got a custom boutique in Chinatown built out of an old butcher shop (and she did it WAY before Dave's Quality Meats) that houses two giant turtles and miles of cool custom glammed up gear.
7. Blackbird Restaurant - right next to AVEC! You got to try the pork belly sandwich! And they gave us a little box of donuts when we left - REALLY GOOD DONUTS! REALLY GOOD EATS!